6/18/08

Man who live in glass house should change clothes in basement.

That was a billboard advertising some sort of house building, but no I don't know if it was a glass house or a better solution to the changing clothes dilemma.
But it reminds me of two important things to tell you about, houses and clothes.

On Sunday I met everyone to do with the project, and moved into Katary Villa, which is across the other side of town. There's me and four boys staying there, two of whom were new as well.
Anyone who I spoke to will know how much I was dreading the other people! But it's been better than I dared hope for. Our three rooms are on the upstairs floor of this house, and join onto a communal space with dining table and all that, I believe there is a TV but I haven't watched it.
We can also hang out the roof, which is flat with two levels. Its a wonderful place to watch the sun go down, have a poetry recitation or talk and talk. Sometimes somebody has a bit of a revelation moment "Oh my God, I'm in India..Awesome" And I try not to giggle. I'm getting those moments too but it tends to be more whilst speeding around in a rickshaw, which is my favourite activity. It slightly helps that people are looking in at you, and little children wave. I likes that.
That night (Sunday) the 'older' housemates - well, actually I am the youngest - took us out to a bar called take 5 . It was here we learnt that dancing is illegal. Still trying to figure out how exactly this translates into life. Because we were offered dancing lessons, and the kids at school dance. But apparently if you stand up in a bar, you are asked to sit down again. ALSO, we heard there are places you can go where the police are paid off and don't come. But the funny thing is everything shuts at 11.30 so we will need to avail of the roof space either way.
As I am writing this it seems more and more like a joke the big kids have played on us.. So I will go home soon to find out.
Re:Clothes. I was slightly fuming yesterday after being told that my teeshirt was too low cut to be appropriate. And then when the person who told me also told everyone else on the project to remind me. I haven't fully collected my thoughts on this, but I'll try.
I know that there are different standards here of how to dress, and I wouldn't dream of showing cleavage. Furthermore I recognise that by being one of a minority here I am responsible like it or not for the way they will think about people from my country/ of my colour.
So this is why from now on, I will wear what they would prefer, at least to work.
I guess the confusion in my mind is I genuinely felt I had chosen a demure option, and so to be treated as though I was trying to sneak in a bit of sex appeal seemed quite ridiculous and I was little upset.
In general also, I don't like the idea of controlling my appearance to fit people's stereotypes. I mean, if somebody thinks that having a tattoo equates to being a lower social class, and having loose morals, and that because of this they wouldn't take the time to get to know me anyway, well, I don't think I want to have that person in my life.
So similarly, if showing my collarbones makes me a slut, and because of that somebody would rather not spend time with me, I have a hard time getting over my dislike of their prejudice about it.
Of course they're also using the reasoning about male attention, and saying it's for my own good and safety to dress as covered up as possible. Oh gosh, I don't know where to begin with that one. If it's truly about my personal well-being, I would still prefer to have the freedom to make this decision, because I know that a comment or even someone touching me does not bother me too much. If it did, I would have never gone clubbing in England, or worked in a bar, or gone to a party!

19/ 06
Oh I need to cut this short and not even consider the male populations potential opinions, and tell you that I went illegally dancing! And there nobody was wearing as much clothes as me :P It was a brilliant semi-famous DJ and we danced til we were liquid and until it turned 11.30. But then there was an afterparty with a local girl dressed like Amy Winehouse and a beautiful penthouse apartment. At this point I realise I have not said anything about the orphanage, which works as a total day/night contrast with this, but I need to do it justice so will wait til Monday.

And finally, we go to Hampi for the weekend, 6 of us volunteerers. I expect to get blessed by an elephant and climbed on by monkeys. And roll into people in my bed on the night bus. yesss.

X

No comments: