9/25/09

Lightening up, settling down.

I think so, anyway.


I live with my best friend Helen in a room at the top of a house. We've hung some pictures, bought some candles, and we share eachothers' clothes. In the mornings, she wakes first and puts on the tiny coffee pot. With her contacts out, in the blurry room she moves gently and gracefully, so that the first sound I hear is the jumps of the drops as they hit the warmed base.

Showers are taken downstairs in the bathroom we painted bright yellow. It is crisp and fresh. There is a teach yourself swedish book on the white shelf by the loo. I like to read the phonetics whilst I drip dry, and soundlessly, obediently, mouth the alphabet.
It's not really a quiet house, but it is peaceful.

Either side of our room, live Gavin and Liz. Liz (yes, of course, our names get confusing) looks like a mix of Audrey Hepburn, and Katie Holmes, but with bigger eyes. She seems serious and shy first of all, but is peppy and strong and has a loud, fun, laugh. She has made funny cushion covers for our living room, from mens' buttondown shirts. They are on pillows from sofas, so large that leaning against one is like having a cuddle from a giant friendly dad.


I do miss my dad. The last time I saw Wade- Helen and Luke's dad- I felt this pang of needing mine. Wade had just spent some time in Bristol, so it was as if the essence of my dad had been left on him. They might have sat out in the garden, last warmth of summer keeping them in shorts. I like to look at this picture.


Gavin is Liz's boyfriend, or she is his girlfriend, depending on how I arrange this sentence. He is blunt, funny, draws pictures and practises his Irish accent with me.
He comes from a town called Mars. I dont know how to say this, but that's not a joke.



Downstairs live Alison and Trevor. Today, Trevor met the president of Russia. As you will recognise from the below photograph, he is well suited for such tasks. This is actually an unusual amount of clothing to see him in, a more normal day would see him wear various eastern european woolens, and a pair of boxers. He loves to clean and play Animal Crossing.



It is appropriate that Alison is in the kitchen, and wearing something strange. She loves to bake and has fantastic clothes. She does yoga, and goes for late night walks. There is a paper mache baby hanging from her ceiling. It was her birthday last weekend, and we made a special carnival party with bearded ladies, acrobats, and of course she was the ring master!



I'm usually fine, readers, if there are any of you left. I get homesick, I get angry, I get hungry, sad, tired. But that's normal, I think that's how it used to be in England too! The candles are burning low, my dressing gown is incomprehensibly soft.

Good night.

No comments: